Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Homework #1 Article Responses

"My So- Called Opinions"

My first response to this article is one the author might refer to as typical of the millennial generation. "Ugh" "How can he say these things?" "Is he downplaying the success of generations of humanitarian efforts?" But, as I read on I found myself more in agreement. I do find opinion being a catalyst into argument in my friend group, especially when that opinion favors what is seen as patriarchal society. I agree that social media can be damaging in those realms because it pries out opinions before they are fully formed. Without a strong foundation of knowledge fruitful discourse is not possible. We see evidence of this every day on the internet, as arguments escalate at frightening levels. Though I feel this article has an overarching tone of condescension, I do believe it's contents have merit.

 "Song Dong"

I loved this idea right off the bat. I've often thought as a museum of myself, and my knick-knacking tendencies may be described as borderline hoarder. I also highly value the preservation of family and cultural history, so this installation was music to my ears. The description of the family history was intense, and made the piece that much more meaningful. I was deeply moved by the artists' dedication and love for his mother. I also appreciated the care with which his family moved the installation from space to space. The conclusion was bittersweet, but a poignant ending to the article. I know it must have brought his mother great joy to see this piece realized, and applauded. In the end, isn't that something we all aspire to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Video Project